For the past couple of weeks, we’ve been bombarding you with tips on how to find the perfect self-storage facility and how to pack it efficiently. But, in our business, it never hurts to make more preparations and precautions to make sure that your belongings are safe and get the value of what you paid for.
With this, let Sydney Cheap Storage give you more tips on how to pack and organize your self-storage facility.
- Buy wardrobe or clothes boxes if you are going to store clothes so that you can easily hang them and still be able to keep their shape. Putting your clothes in a bin liner is not advisable because moisture can seep inside when they’re sealed thus your clothes can get ruined.
- Wrap mirrors and pictures in protective covering like bubble wrap and stack them on their ends. Mirrors and pictures SHOULD NEVER be stored flat on the floor because it makes them easily breakable.
- Cover your upholstery and couches with covers, bags or sheets to give them additional protection. Place them on the back wherever possible to save space and to not stack too much on top of soft furnishings. Mattresses should be raised above floor level or laid on protective sheeting for additional protection.
- Dismantle your big furniture like beds and drawers before you store it in a storage facility; but make sure that you wrap and cover and keep them together for quick retrieval in the future.
- Stack your seats to save space. Cover chair legs with protective wrapping for protection.
- Spray your furniture with furniture spray before storing it in a storage facility to give it extra protection.
Organizing Your Storage Unit
- It is important to visit and sweep your unit before you move anything in. This gives you an idea of how you want things stored in your unit.
- Label everything for easy and quick identification of the contents. Use permanent marker so that the label won’t fade away.
- Keep an inventory of you things, and if you have the time, make a photo checklist so that you can easily refer to it in your home.
- Keep a distance between your items and the walls to ensure adequate air flow. Your stuff also needs to “breath.”
- Make a sketch of how you want to arrange your unit. This saves time and energy in terms of trying to remember and locate your items.
It is important to maximize your self-storage unit so that all of your uneeded stuff will be stored properly. At Sydney Cheap Storage, we have representatives who can give you a run through (and obligation-free) of our different storage sizes and how much it costs. So click here to talk to one of our representatives!